Monday, May 25, 2015

Gracefully Knocking On Heaven's Door



There can come a time when it is well and good for us to go.  When I was in my teens, my elderly grandfather and I were sitting together side by side, quietly musing in the sun.  He turned to me, placed his hand gently on my knee and said, "I think I'll be going soon.  It's time for me to move over and make room for other people on the planet, so they can come here to live."  I immediately said, "No, Grandpa, don't talk like that."  But he calmly held his place in silence, smiled to himself and nodded.  He did indeed die, quite peacefully, six weeks later.

Sometimes we go to our death kicking and screaming.  Sometimes it's so sudden we don't know what hit us.  But one thing is certain, we will all of us cross that river into the great hereafter one day. 

What we can be most grateful to death about is how it helps us to live while we are here.  Carlos Castaneda said, "When you know that death is stalking you in every moment of your life, your life will become magical because your priorities will change."

To live in grace is to honor all of our spiritual laws: to be kind with one another, to love each other, to give and to receive, to forgive and to understand.  When we live our lives this way, we can meet our deaths with open hearts. 

Having had numerous close brushes with death during the course of my life, I know that any one of us could go at anytime.  This helps me to keep my emotional plate very clean.  If I have a hunch that something is up between us, I ask.  If I wake up thinking about someone, I call.  If I haven't recently told you, "I love you," I do.

So, here we go,  I Love You.  And the truth is, I do.  I'm so grateful to you, yes, you, for your support in reading this blog.  It helps me to have readers, and you know that.  I feel your love and I hope that you can feel mine.  Because, the truth of it is, life is too short for us to be doing anything other than sharing our love.  So, I thank you and I give my love to you.

With that, I want to wish you all a very happy Memorial Day.  May we come to know greater and greater levels of love as we learn how to walk this earth together, blooming and growing, finding our way into the Golden Age of Peace, while we live each of our days, gratefully and gracefully knocking on heaven's door.


© Josephine Laing, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment